Celebrate National Moth Week by going mothing and sketching your discoveries. This outing will also include a short segment on tips for identifying basic moth families. Enjoy a potluck dinner at the beginning of the program.
All ages. Instruction will be geared for adults, but children who are interested in art are welcome to attend with an adult. Parents, please make sure to monitor your children’s energy and interest levels during club outings to ensure that their behavior is conducive to a positive learning environment for everyone.
Please bring the following items:
- Your own sketchbook, a pencil and any other art supplies you would like to use. We will also have some art materials to share (other than the sketchbook).
- An item to share at our potluck dinner. We will be outdoors so no electric outlets are available.
- A bowl, spoon and fork (we will have some paper plates and plastic utensils available, but bringing your own reusable ones helps us reduce waste.)
- Warm clothing layers and appropriate footwear for being outdoors
- A backpack or shoulder bag to carry your supplies
- A portable chair, stool or sitting pad
- A flashlight or headlamp as it will be dark during part of the program
- Your favorite butterfly or moth field guides (optional)
The program will take place at Lair o’ the Bear Park. You will meet the educator at the outdoor classroom in the park. To get there, park at the main trailhead and then follow the Creekside Trail east for .2 miles. The walk to the amphitheater is flat and easy. Restrooms are located near the program location. For the comfort of fellow participants, please leave pets at home. Registration opens one month in advance. We will send out an email if the program needs to be changed or cancelled due to hazardous weather.
Also, please join the Jeffco Open Space Nature Journal Club Facebook page if you are interested. The page is a great place to find out about club happenings, share your sketches and journal pages, arrange carpools (in the summer trailheads will start to get packed) and chat with each other.
Registration for this program is available one month before the date of the program. If you are registering during this time, but space is no longer available, please call Lookout Mountain Nature Center at 720-497-7600 to be placed on a waiting list.
Already registered and need to cancel? Have questions about the program? Please give us a call at 720-497-7600 or e-mail email@example.com to let us know! You can also click the Contact Lookout Mountain Nature Center link below to send us a message. Please include the program title.
Office hours are 9:00 am to 4:00 pm Tuesday – Sunday, inquiries made after 4 pm may not be answered until the following day. LMNC is closed on Mondays.